21 December 2010

Stuff Zig Iggs: Japanese Food

So, I stumbled across the justhungry blog post about 100 Japanese foods all eaters-of-eatables should eat. It inspired me for a variety of reasons. Firstly, I'm bored. Secondly, I love lists. Thirdly, as a lover of vegetables, fish, slimy things, and food in small pieces, I've got a giant spot in my heart/stomach for Japanese cuisine. Accordingly, I'm reposting items from the (extensive!) list, and adding my two cents about iggness, as it were. If you go to the original blog post, you'll have a very helpful index of these foods. Here goes:

ZIG's EDIT OF A List of 100 Japanese Foods To Try At Least Once

misoshiru
Yes, misoshiru is perhaps the simplest, most basic Japanese food item after rice. However, much like rice, its simplicity means it can be done really well and really, really badly. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to frequent the Nishiki market (in the terumachi shopping district) and the miso shop in the market. This miso paste was thick, fragrant, rich, and beautifully colored. During my time in Japan, I sample every variety they had at least three or four times (at least). The extra expense was so worth it. Excellent ingredients = excellent cooking. Simple as that. Nishiki market also brings me to...

nukazuke
I think they're pickled with bran, which gives them a very distinctive, erm, aroma. Not my favorite Japanese pickle, but, everytime I went to Nishiki, the proprieter of the nukazuke stand would give me, literally, pounds of nukazuke to take home for free. I learned to love it.

"Very fresh sanma (saury), sizzling hot from the grill, eaten with a drizzle of soy sauce and a mound of grated daikon radish"
As a broke ryuugakusei who could find her way around in the kitchen, I avoided eating out at expensive restaurants whilst in Japan. However, on my first night in Kyoto, a group of friends and I did visit a relatively "nice" restaurant. Budget minded, I had the grilled sanma, rice, soup, and the house pickles. Best part of the meal? A drunk business man bought it for me. Yaaaaaaaay.

Homemade umeboshi
I love sour. Love love love sour. Homemade umeboshi? SUPPAI.

Mentaiko
I love me some fish eggs. And, when they look like weird little tongues? So much better than caviar.

Mugicha
On a steamy summer day, there is nothing like ice cold mugicha. I tried not to guzzle this tea, which is roasty and savory, but it was difficult. Notably difficult.

Ika no shiokara
Mmm... squid bits in fermented stuff. Yep. It's amazing. But I love all things salty and savory. And you people probably eat the cow piss that is cheese, so hush up.

Yamakake
Grated yam is super slimy and, therefore, super delicious. I had it on pretty much everything-- on top of soba it is particularly amazing. Extra sliminess? Go for it on maguro. Yizzum.

Omuraisu
Rice folded into an omelet is pretty ingenious. What's even better? Pretending you're the hobo from tanpopo while you make it. And then decorating it with a catsup smiley face.

Ishi yakiimo
Sweet potatoes and I have a long, bittersweet romance. However, grilled sweet potatoes served from that huge food market in Osaka? Oh yes.

Natto
Hey... hey-- what do you call a soybean with a bad reputation?

...

NATTORIOUS.


Ikura
So pretty, so colorful, and so delightfully weird to pop in your mouth. Kinda like edible bubble wrap.

Inarizushi
Frankly, I do not care for inarizushi, but it reminds me of the inari fushimi shrine, where I was engaged.

Surume
Squid jerky > any other jerky ever. Has anyone ever seen the Korean movie The Host? The protagonist carries around a giant piece of dried squid. It looks so, so, so good. Some people like popsicles. I like squerky.

Yakinasu with grated ginger
I love eggplant, and this is, to me, a really novel approach to it. Grilled, skinned, iced, and served with simple condiments is elegant in a very simple way.

Spinach ohitashi
Again, simplicity is sometimes the best part of a national cuisine. And so I give you blanched spinach with a simple dressing. Made by a host okaasan? Derish.

Okonomiyaki
Please. Someone. Open a DIY okonomiyaki in a place near me? Please? Best memories of Japan. Except for the waiter/waitress looming with the GIANT ladle of mayonnaise. I have an incredible fear of mayonnaise that Japan only compounded.

Yakitori
Chicken. On a stick. Sweet. Salty. Would not trust it from matsuri vendors.

Takoyaki
Little batter-balls stuffed with creamy octopus goodness? And negi? And takoyaki sauce? Possibly the best food Japan offers. Yeah. I went there. Again... maybe not so much from the matsuri vendors. On more than one occasion, I saw a vendor leaning over a big pot of takoyaki batter... cigarette-in-mouth, ash-very-much-falling-into-batter. Mmm!

Goya champuruu
Bizarrely enough, this was the first thing I made for myself while in Hikone. Regionality. I did it wrong. I think I was just excited to find the right ingredients.

Dorayaki
Little pancake gong things... lots of potential for cute.

Ochazuke
Again with the simplicity-- well-done rice, some modest toppings, and hot tea. Nothing better, especially during a rain storm.

Mitarashi dango
Seriously, the Japanese totally win on desserts. Now, if only they'd stop with the terrible version of Western baked goods...

Nama yatsuhashi

Do yourself a favor... if you're ever in Kyoto, head to Nishiki (which you should do anyways) and find the nama yatsuhashi shop. They're one of kyoto's oldest (the oldest?) confections, and they are amazing. You can see the cooking process and get all broke-tourist over free samples...

Narazuke
The oldest pickle? I think so. Irregardless, a speciality of Nara. Beware the deer.

Aji no himono
Mmmm... dried, salted, and sugared fishies.

Kamaboko
SPIRAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oyako donburi
Mother and child rice bowl... meaning, chicken and egg rice bowl.

and my own addition...

KABOCHA. In any way, shape, or degree of cookedness. (Ask Cwig, I will eat it raw-- even though this is probably unnecessarily cruel to my stomach.) One of the cutest things to do with it? I made up Kabocha-balls-- roast a kabocha (darkest green skin you can find), scoop out the innards, mash said innards and seasons with soy and rice vinegar, roll into tiny little balls, rolls balls around in nori flakes/bonito flakes/sesame seeds, and enjoy. Delicious. Adorable. Slightly suggestive.

No comments:

Post a Comment